Monday, September 19, 2011

The Crochet Addict III


The Sublimation Of a Jute Rug
One day (actually about 3 years ago), as I realized I was in need of a crochet fix. I came up with the idea to crochet a rug for my outdoor balcony. I had several ideas floating in my head about what kind of pattern I wanted to create and chose to try to crochet with jute thread.
I started my project with about 4 rolls of thread, but because I kept changing my mind on the size I wanted the rug to be, the design I wanted to create and the stitches I wanted to use, I kept on having to go back to the store to buy more rolls of thread!

My rug seemed to be taking shaped until I realized that some rolls had a slight variation in their colour and my crochet piece was looking more like a strange stitched patchwork then a plain jute rug. Not to worry I thought, when you finish, just throw it in the washing machine and the whole thing will even out. It didn't.
The discoloration was still present and on top of that, part of the rug became warped out of its once even squareness! So out of seething frustration (not to mention aching fingers!), I folded the stitched creation and threw it into a far corner of my shed.

Two years later, as I was daydreaming about how I could create something really cool for my front balcony (yes, there is also a back balcony, but I'll save it for another story), I decided to crochet a rug! 
I started brainstorming about what kind of patterns and yarn I could use and then I remembered the jute rug. The great thing about crochet or knitted works, is that you can always unravel them and turn them into something else.

 
So I went to recover the banished ugly little duckling and decided to revamp it into a decent piece of crochet.   A chequered design was the theme of the day and I admit, I did change my mind a few more times about the size of the rug and the patterns I wanted to create for the squares.  And, yes, I also had to go back a few more times to the store to buy more jute thread...  But in the end, I must say it was worth. I finally got my crochet fix!